To catch you up:
This weekend, two of my Godchildren were getting confirmed in San Antonio, so Kaleb and I loaded up in the car and headed south. We were so excited to spend some much-needed-time with family! Friday night, when we made it, we all went out to eat to a super fun Mexican restaurant. The kiddos had a BLAST. We were able to sit outside, complete with a DJ and a playground. Loads of fun. Saturday afternoon was the confirmation and afterwards was the celebration at my cousins house. All in all, it really was a great weekend and I'm so happy to have spent it with family.
I'm afraid though, if you ask Kaleb how he felt about it all, he would have mixed feelings. That boy was having the time of his life one minute and the next minute he was screaming. All.Weekend.Long. From the moment we were sitting in traffic on Friday to the time we left on Sunday. When he was having fun, he was having fun! Dancing, playing, laughing, the whole nine yards. When he was upset, he was upset. Crying, throwing shit, kicking, screaming, the whole nine yards. This inconsistency went on the entire time. Now, I know you're saying, he's 2, this is what they do. Not my Kman though. He's usually pretty happy until he's tired and then at that point he just goes to sleep and sleeps all night long. Then guess what, he's brand spanking new in the morning! He wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat, didn't wanna play, threw crap off the balcony, it was a mess and I'm freakin exhausted. I was so done with it by Saturday night/Sunday morning that we left the hotel at 3 a.m. and drove home. Kaleb only slept an hour in the car and only an hour and a half at home. Someone bless his heart because I want to find a hole to hide in.
So now that you have a recap of what all went down, here are 10 things I learned while I was away.
First and Foremost, never take a 2yr old, who doesn't like his routine to be jacked with, to a hotel for the weekend. Big mistake. Huge.
2. All that Mexican food I ate when I was pregnant is staring to show itself. Kaleb surprised me on Friday when he showed that he can play the maracas like a boss. Not to mention, he's still eating massive amounts of guacamole by the spoonful.
3. No matter how old one may be, it's still so fun to make and eat S'mores! "Turn it, don't burn it".
4. Kaleb doesn't understand the concept of gravity yet. He threw his blankie off our balcony and was highly disturbed to see it several stories down, laying in the parking lot. It was pretty detrimental for all involved.
5. When all else fails, I now know that no matter what, Kaleb will accept queso from taco cabana as a peace offering. It's a damn good thing there's one every half mile in SA.
6. I'm probably not the best person to follow when you don't know where you're going. I tend to change lanes without warning and apparently, not everyone is okay with doing illegal u-turns like I am. #howiroll
7. People on the same floor as you in the hotel don't appreciate hearing your kid screaming at 11 p.m., 12 a.m., 1 a.m., 2 a.m. and esp not at 3 a.m.
8. After you've been walking around the lobby with your crying child long enough, eventually the bartender will actually offer you some milk. At 2 a.m., you'll actually wanna punch him in the face for offering MILK when clearly you need something a lot stronger than that.
9. The best time to travel through San Antonio and Austin is absolutely 3a.m.
10. When you drive for 2+ hours in the middle of the night, don't go to bed until 5:30 a.m. and then your kid wakes you up at 7:15 a.m., you'll feel like you have a hangover and you'll be really pissed that it wasn't the result of too much fun.
This shit aint funny.
So, some of you might be sitting there thinking, "what ever happened to Kaleb? All that screaming is probably something....or nothing?" The short update on him is, I *think* we have a case of 2yr molars and maybe growing pains on our hands. He keeps grabbing at his mouth and grinding his teeth but then he also tells me that his "wegs" (legs) hurt. I've looked him up and down and side to side several times now and I see nothing. He doesn't have fever, he's not limping, he's pooping on the reg, and he's not pulling on his ears. What else is there, right? As a mom, I'm kinda spent. Happy Freakin' Tuesday.